With all the flooding, heavy rains, and tornados, we now must add wildfires to the list.
In 2022, according to NOAA and Ready.gov, wildfires caused an estimate $3.2 billion in property damage and killed 17 people.
Courtesy of ready.gov here are suggestions to protect you and your property from wildfires:
- Make sure you have alerts on your phones by downloading apps, community warning systems)
- Gather supplies for an emergency kit and be prepared to go at a moment’s notice.
- Know your evacuation zone including alternate routes
- Strengthen your home – use fire resistant materials, remove yard debris, and have an outdoor water source
- Review important documents, including insurance policies, and keep digital copies in a secure space, or upload to the cloud.
- Make an emergency plan to reflect not only leaving your home, but work and childcare facilities
Sources: Ready.gov, NOAA, Property/Casualty360