Cold weather is affecting our area and with it frozen pipes. To help prevent frozen pipes here are some tips from the Travelers.
HOW TO HELP PREVENT WATER DAMAGE FROM FROZEN PIPES
- Locate and close the main water shutoff valve as soon as possible and before temperatures rise above freezing.
- Inspect pipes for damage, including those in attics and crawl spaces, where it is safe to do so.
- As temperatures increase above freezing, watch and listen for signs of water leaks.
- If a pipe is leaking, do not turn on the water. Open all faucets including those outside to drain remaining water from pipes and call a licensed plumber for repairs.
- If no leaks are detected, turn water back on slowly. Continue to check for leaks before turning water on completely.
- Never use torches or heat guns to facilitate thawing as these can create fire hazards.
For more information go to the Travelers.