Common lawnmower injuries include open wounds and bone fractures involving the hands and feet. Eye injuries can also be caused by the mower blades flicking up debris such as sticks and stones. Safety suggestions include:
- Wear enclosed shoes when mowing the lawn, preferably safety boots with steel toecaps.
- Wear appropriate eye protection, such as safety goggles.
- Wear long trousers, preferably made from a heavy fabric such as denim, to protect your legs against flying debris.
- Ride-on mowers can tip. Drive at slow speeds, especially when turning.
- Take extra care when pulling the mower towards you or mowing on slopes, to avoid foot injuries.
- Lawnmowers can also cause burns. Be careful not to touch hot equipment parts.
Review these safety tips before rolling out the lawnmower this weekend.