Getting your children ready to start school is a perfect opportunity to review keeping them safe.
Reader’s Digest has nine tips – take the time to review them with your children before school begins.
- Plan a walking route to school or the bus stop
- Walk the route with your child beforehand
- Teach your child never to talk to strangers
- Be sure your child walks to and from school with a sibling, friend, or neighbor
- Teach your children, whether walking, biking, or riding the bus to school, to obey all traffic signals
- When driving kids, deliver and pick them up as close to the school as possible
- If your child bikes to school, make sure he/she wears a helmet
- If your child rides a scooter to school, make sure he/she wears sturdy shoes, a helmet, kneepads, and elbow pads
- Teach children to arrive at the bus stop early
- Remind your children to stay seated at all times
- Tell your child not to bend down in front of the bus to tie shoes or pick up objects
- Be sure that your child knows his/her phone number and address
The school year is just about ready to start, let’s make sure our children are safe to begin.
Source: Reader’s Digest